If you're an adolescent or have teens in your household, you may know the struggles acne pose. This chronic skin problem, characterized by plugged sebaceous glands on the neck, chest, face and back, is unsightly, embarrassing and frustrating. At Foothill Dermatology Medical Center, Dr. Amarpaul Sidhu helps many acne sufferers enjoy clearer skin with fewer outbreaks.
How acne happens
MedicalNewsToday says more than 50 million Americans have acne. While the majority are adolescents, people of any age, gender or walk of life can develop the characteristic comedones, or blackheads and whiteheads. Some acne lesions develop into cysts, become infected and leave scarring.
While the hormonal fluctuations of menopause and puberty seem to precipitate outbreaks, other contributing factors can be:
- High-carb, high-fat foods
- Stress and anxiety
- Poor skin hygiene
- Tight hat bands
Your acne treatment
Acne relief begins with a skin exam with your dermatologist at Foothills Dermatology Medical Center. Dr. Amarpaul Sidhu will inspect your skin and compose a treatment plan to limit outbreaks and prevent infection and scarring. Acne is graded from one to four, with four being the most severe.
Your care plan may include:
- Over the counter face washes or applications which contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or other active ingredients
- Topical or oral antibiotics to limit infection
- Isotretinoin acts on the oil glands in the skin, reducing their activity
- Birth control pills
- Surgical excision of cystic acne
- Microdermabrasion to address scars
Simple preventive measures help manage acne well. These practices include:
- Gently washing your face twice a day and rinsing with clear, warm water
- Remove cosmetics every day before bedtime
- Showering after sweating excessively
- Shampoo your hair daily or whenever it feels greasy
- Daily application of moisturizer
- Cut down on sun exposure and avoid artificial tanning sources
- Avoid aggressive facial scrubbing and "popping zits" (these habits only irritate your skin and could cause infection)
Come see us
Acne is not just a skin health issue. It impacts your overall sense of well-being and confidence. So, if you have concerns about acne breakouts, please contact your dermatologist, Dr. Amarpaul Sidhu, at Foothill Dermatology Medical Center.
We have two locations to serve you. In Rancho Cucamonga, call (909) 256-8950, or Glendora, CA, phone (626) 852-3376.