Acne affects millions of teen and adult Americans. Characterized by red, sore and embarrassing pimples on the face, neck, shoulders, back and chest, acne can be controlled, boosting patients' self-esteem. Find out how dermatologist Dr. Amarpaul Sidhu, are your dermatology professionals at Foothill Dermatology Medical Center in Glendora, CA, treat acne and its side effects.
Acne begins below the skin's surface
Whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, papules and cystic acne originate with the sebaceous, or oil, glands in the skin. These glands become plugged, particularly when the hormones of puberty or menopause fluctuate, or when dirt or dead skin cells block pores. Infection may result as bacteria accumulates in skin pores.
Your treatment options
Your Glendora, CA, dermatologist diagnoses acne, and its severity, by simple visual inspection. Dr. Sidhu may recommend lifestyle modifications to limit outbreaks. He may advise:
- Daily washing with an over the counter acne scrub (no vigorous scrubbing)
- Limiting fatty or sugary foods
- Keeping your hands off your face
- Never squeezing or popping blemishes
- Showering or bathing after gym workouts
- Managing life stress
- Wearing loosely fitting clothing
More aggressive options target widespread and deep blemishes. Your treatment plan will be individualized to your specific case. Treatment may include:
- Application of benzoyl peroxide to dry blemishes
- Use of birth control pills to even hormone levels
- Oral or topical antibiotics for infected areas
- Vitamin-A medications for acne nodules
In-office procedures address skin scarring and cysts. Dermabrasion, a light sanding of skin surfaces, smooths rough or pitted areas. Photo therapy reduces oil production and infection. Surgical excision removes deep cysts which do not respond to less invasive treatments.
Find out more
Please don't suffer from persistent acne. Your friends at Foothill Dermatology Medical Center are ready to help you have healthier, clearer skin. Call today for an appointment with Dr. Sidhu. We have two locations. In Glendora, CA, call (626) 852-3376, and in Rancho Cucamonga, phone (909) 256-8950.